Kou Shui Ji is a very popular cold appetizer dish in China. Kou Shui Ji means saliva chicken when translated literally. But this dish has nothing to do with saliva! It’s named this way simply because it’s so delicious that it made people salivate for more! Maybe ‘mouth-watering chicken‘ is a better name for this savory, salty, sour, spicy and flavorful dish.
To make your mouth water, a common dish with legacy.
“Mouth-watering chicken” or Kou Shui Ji is a must-have on any Sichuan restaurant menu. The dish is basically plain boiled chicken with an intense sauce full of flavors and tastes such as soy sauce, black vinegar, chili oil, peanuts, scallion, garlic, sesame seed and cilantro.
Just thinking of it and I’m already drooling! Mouth-watering chicken is so tasty and easy to make. Seriously. Try it!
Sichuan Mouth Watering Chicken (Kou Shui Ji)
- Prep time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Serving Size: 2
- 1 fresh chicken leg
- 2 scallions
- 1/2 knob ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- cilantro, chopped (optional)
- some dried chili
- 1 tsp Sichuan peppercorn
- 1 star anise
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp crushed peanuts
- 2 tsp white sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine (Shaoxing wine)
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp black vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup iced water
Step by Step:
- Prepare the chicken. In a pot or saucepan, heat up some water with Chinese cooking wine, ginger slices, scallion pieces, peppercorns, chili flakes, star anise and bay leaf. Put the whole chicken leg into it and bring to a boil. Cook, covered, for 10 mins. Turn off heat and leave the chicken in it for another 5 mins.
- Run iced water over chicken to make the chicken smooth and moist, about 1 mins.
- Chop chicken into chunks and lay in a serving bowl.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Add scallion, garlic, ginger, chili, peanuts and sesame seeds. Stir fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Turn off heat. Add in salt, sugar, soy sauce, black vinegar, sesame oil and mix well. Feel free to adjust the sauce to your taste. Pour sauce over the chicken and garnish with cilantro if desired.
- Serve immediately. (You can marinate it in the refrigerator for 1/2 to 2 hours for more flavor.)