Today’s recipe is Xinjiang Uyghur Lamb Pilaf, one of “must-eat” dishes in Xinjiang.
Xinjiang Uyghur Lamb Pilaf is a mixture of carrots, rice and lamb meat. The flavor of the dish is intensely aromatic with cumin and onion, which are one of my personal favorite flavor combinations. The lamb meat is cut into small pieces for more flavor. Paired with rice, it makes one heavenly dish! I’m not a huge fan of lamb but this dish is incredibly delicious!
The flavor of this dish, especially the rice, is so rich. Infused with tons of flavor from the meat and the spices, the rice in it is much more flavorful than ordinary steamed or fried rice. Uyghur Lamb Pilaf is addictively delicious, and it is really impossible not to fall in love at first bite.
This Xinjiang lamb dish is simple and absolutely tasty! I loved how easy it was to make and the end product was enjoyed by all who tried it! If you are looking for a perfect winter recipe, give this one a try! It will be one you want to make over and over again!
The original version of this recipe calls for an unreasonable amount of oil. I have modified the recipe to make it healthier. I hope you will love it! 🙂
Xinjiang Uyghur Lamb Pilaf
- Prep time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Serving Size: 4
- 1 lb lamb ribs
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1/2 knob ginger, peeled and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorn (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup water
Step by Step:
- Cut the lamb meat away from the bone, put in a large bowl. (Removing bones is optional.) Add in Shaoxing wine, soy sauce, cumin, and salt, and mix to evenly coat the lamb. Set aside to marinate 10 minutes.
- Chop carrots, onion, garlic and ginger into small pieces.
- Wash and rinse the rice several times. Place in a bowl with double the amount of water and let soak for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic and ginger. Stir fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add lamb, carrots, soy sauce, cumin, salt, Sichuan peppercorn, and cook for another 3 minutes. Then pour in water, cover and simmer over a medium heat, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer everything (rice, lamb, carrots and the sauce) into a rice cooker. Add more water if needed. Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a platter, garnish with scallion if desired. Serve warm.