Szechuan Poached Beef in Hot Chili Sauce —
It’s October, but the winter chill has arrived! It’s CRAZY cold and windy outside today in New York. Those of you in certain parts of the country (like me) are really going to need a little extra fuel (Szechuan Poached Beef in Hot Chili Sauce) to make it through this terrible weather, seriously! 😛
Poached beef in hot chili sauce, called “shui zhu niu rou” in Chinese, is one of my favorite hearty, warming winter dishes. The dishes of Szechuan cuisine are famous for their hot and spicy flavor, and this one is probably the most popular Szechuan dish in China.
Poached beef in hot chili sauce is bright in color, with a very rich, deep flavor. The beef in it tastes tender and smooth, while the vegetables (I used bean sprouts) palatable and fresh.
The dish is definitely spicy! It’s one of the best spicy dishes I have ever tasted. For those who can’t handle spicy food, you can adjust the spiciness to your tolerance level.
I can’t wait to share this recipe with you, because in such a cold weather there’s nothing better than having a seriously delicious dish cooked up right in your own kitchen!
Szechuan Poached Beef in Hot Chili Sauce
- Prep time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Serving Size: 4
- 1/2 lb lean beef
- 1/2 lb bean sprouts
- 2 stalks scallions, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsps cooking wine (Shaoxing wine)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsps Pixian Broad Bean Paste
- 2 tbsps peanut oil
- 1/4 cup chili oil (with flakes)
- 2 tbsps dried chili peppers (optional)
- 2 tbsps Szechuan peppercorn
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsps cornstarch
- 1 tbsp cold water (for the marinade), 2 cups of hot water (to boil vegetable & beef)
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
Step by step
- Cut the beef into thin slices about 2 x 4 cm (if you find it difficult to slice meat, you can put it in the fridge for about 20mins before you cut), and transfer into a bowl
- Add salt, Chinese cooking wine, soy sauce, cornstarch, and water in the bowl and stir well to coat all the pieces of beef. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok/saucepan, stir-fry the bean sprouts quickly for about 30 seconds. Add 1 cup of hot water, and then boil it for 1 minute on high heat until just done. Take out the bean sprouts and put into a serving bowl.
- Heat chili oil and stir-fry scallion, garlic, Szechuan peppercorn, dried chili peppers and Pixian Broad Bean Paste until fragrant, about 1 min. Add the marinated beef, sugar, and a cup of hot water, and boil it for 1 to 2 mins (cooking too long would make meat hard and tough). Pour the beef and sauce into the serving bowl over the bean sprouts.
- In another saucepan, heat chili oil and stir-fry Szechuan peppercorn and white sesame seeds until fragrant. Remove from heat and quickly pour over beef dish (it will still be sizzling when you bring it to the table). Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Simply follow this delicious Szechuan poached beef in hot chili sauce recipe, and your taste buds will be heated up in no time! Enjoy!