Today I’m gonna share a very delicious recipe: Chinese Braised Oxtail with Carrots.
Oxtail is the tail of a cow that you may never have cooked before, but it tastes so good, even better than short ribs if oxtail is slowly stewed or braised.
I didn’t grow up with oxtail at all. When I first had it, however, I just fell in love with it. It was very tasty and flavorful. The meat was so soft that just fell off the bone and melted in my mouth. It was really a great pleasure in life.
So if you’ve never cooked oxtail before, you should give this Chinese oxtail recipe a try. I made this braised oxtail for dinner last night and it was a big hit. Red chili peppers, sugar, garlic, scallion, soy sauce, and cooking wine was braised with fried oxtail and fresh carrots. It’s simple and the flavor is wonderful. If it’s a little bit spicy for your taste, just decrease the amount of red chili peppers you use. You can also use tomatoes instead of carrots or add more vegetables for different flavors. Let me know if you try this recipe and what you think. 🙂
Chinese Braised Oxtail with Carrots
- Prep time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 2 1/2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours 45 mins
- Serving Size: 4
- 1 oxtail
- 2 fresh carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 star anise
- 2 dried chili peppers, optional
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/3 cup of soy sauce
- 1/3 cup of cooking wine (Shaoxing wine)
- 1 cup of water
Step by step
- Rinse oxtail several times with cold running water, and pat them dry. Heat oil in a pan over medium high heat, and add oxtail. Fry oxtail until they are golden brown, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add scallion slices, garlic, star anise, red chili peppers into the pan. Turn the heat on high and cook 5 mins. It begins smell delicious.
- Then add sugar, soy sauce, cooking wine and water, and bring it to a boil for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours. The oxtail are getting tender. Add carrot chunks and cook 20 minutes. Stir occasionally and add more water as needed.
- Scatter the chopped cilantro over the oxtail and serve.