This is a great Chinese dessert recipe inspired by Hui Lau Shan, one of my favorite dessert bars in China. Called “Xu Liu Shan” in Chinese, it’s the most popular and famous chain of dessert restaurants based in Hong Kong.
When I was a high school student in Shenzhen China, my favorite activity was to spend a few hours in Hui Lau Shan and enjoy a brunch or an afternoon tea there. The desserts are all asian style and many of them are made with mango. After I moved to New York, I found it’s really not that easy to find a great dessert bar that specializes in Chinese desserts and snacks.
So… summer is still here. Why don’t you make this no-bake summer dessert in your own kitchen? Believe me, this luscious dessert is super easy to make. All you need is: black sticky rice, coconut milk, sugar and mango.
This Chinese-style mango dessert is sweet and fruity, and super nice. It’s as refreshing as ice cream and frozen desserts, and also very healthy.
Try out this healthy recipe today and get yourself ready to be freshen up!
Black Sticky Rice with Mango and Coconut Milk
- Prep time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Serving Size: 2
- 1/2 cup black sticky rice
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 large ripe mango
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup water
Step by step:
- Rinse the black sticky rice several times with cold running water. Then soak the rice in water for 20 minutes. (Some people soak it overnight, but 20 to 30 mins is sufficient.)
- Transfer the rice into a pot and add water to it. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low to medium heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, peel and cut the mango.
- When the sticky rice is tender, turn it out and let it cool down. Then transfer the cooked rice into a bowl, and place mango chunks decoratively beside the rice. Slowly pour coconut milk in the bowl, then add some sugar. Serve immediately.