For a hot summer day, a delicious Szechuan-style (a style of Chinese cooking) spicy cold noodles will suit your taste, and perfect for your dinner. Cold noodles, or “Liang Mian” in Mandarin, are eating at room temperature, refreshing light, healthy and delicious. Black rice noodles are made with organic black rice, which adds more nutrients to your meal.
In the vibrant food culture of Szechuan China, the secret of good taste is not just chili oil and Szechuan peppercorns. Szechuan food is really about a variety of flavors: spicy, flowery (Szechuan peppercorns), salty, sour, sweet, bitter, smoky, etc.
As one of the most popular regional cuisines of China, Szechuan foods are known for the incredible depth and complexity of flavor, and the secret here is the sauce.
For this dish, the sauce that holds it all together is salty, sour and spicy and made with red chili paste, soy sauce, vinegar, and sugar. The addition of Szechuan pepper oil, sesame oil and chopped peanuts along with scallion and dried chili pepper makes the sauce even more mouth-watering.
It’s so tasty and quick and easy to make. You will really want to try this and make a perfect dish for your summer vacation.
Cold Black Rice Noodles with Shredded Chicken
- Prep time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Serving Size: 2
- 100g dried black rice noodles
- 1 chicken breasts
- 1 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup chili oil with flakes (or dried chili peppers)
- 2 tablespoons Szechuan pepper oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped peanuts
- 1/2 cucumber, julienned, for topping
- 1 scallion, chopped, for topping
Step by step:
- Prepare the noodles and dried chili peppers. Finely chop the scallion for later use.
- In a small bowl mix together soy sauce, vinegar, chili oil with flakes, Szechuan pepper oil, sesame oil, salt and sugar for the sauce. Thinly slice the cucumber and prepare the chopped peanuts.
- Clean chicken breasts, put in a pot with water and bring to a boil. Boil for 3-5 minutes, then turn off the heat. Remove chicken from water and then shred thinly.
- In another pot, add cold water and noodles. Bring to a boil until the noodles become soft. Shower noodles with iced water, and drain well when done.
- Add some oil to lightly coat the noodles then spread them out on a plate to dry. Put the sliced cucumber and shredded chicken on the plate.
- Transfer the noodles to a large bowl. Then add sauce to your liking. All the noodles should be well-coated with the sauce. Top with the shredded chicken and other garnishes, such as chopped scallions, chopped chilies, cucumber strips, etc. Serve at room temperature.