I feel so excited to share this simple but amazing recipe with you. In China, rice cakes are one of the most versatile foods out there! There are tons of delicious rice cake recipes. But this one is so unique that every will love it, I promise.
This dessert is made with purple sweet potato, rich, fragrant, and just sticky enough.
I love topping my rice cakes with coconut powder. They’re slightly sweet, perfect for your breakfast. Try this recipe and start your day with a little bit of fiber and a little bit of protein.
Purple Sweet Potato Rice Cake
- Prep time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Cool Time: 30 to 40 minutes
- Total Time: about 1 1/2 hour
- Serving Size: 4
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 cup of sweet rice powder or glutinous rice flour
- 2 tbsps of sugar
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 2 tbsps of desiccated coconut
Step by step:
- Peel the purple sweet potato and cut into chunks.
- Steam sweet potato till soft for 15 minutes. Mash the sweet potato in a bowl with a spoon. Then add glutinous rice flour, sugar, water and whole milk in the bowl, stirring evenly.
- Pour 1/2 mixture into a square bowl and place in steamer. Steam for 15 minutes. Then pour the rest of the mixture into the same square bowl and steam for another 15 minutes.
- Take it out from the steamer. Wait till it becomes closer to room temp. Put in the refrigerator and cool for at least 30 minutes. Cut your rice cake and then spread the desiccated coconut out on rice cakes before serving.