Creamy and thick like porridge, congee is a classic Chinese dish eaten at all times of day in Chinese households. Chinese Pumpkin Congee is one of my favorite breakfast foods. But it’s also perfect for your mid-night snack. It’s slightly sweet and relatively low in calories. By adding some milk to your bowl, you boost the taste as well as the nutritional profile.
Trust me. This pumpkin congee is very easy to make, and easily customizable for your taste buds. You can put it in the refrigerator to make it as a summer dessert! If you eat it immediately after cooking, it would be a hearty comfort food perfect for your winter remedy! On a cold winter day, there is nothing quite like a hot bowl of pumpkin congee to warm your body.
- Prep time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
Serving Size: 6-8
- 2 lb fresh pumpkin, seeded and peeled
- 3/4 cup sweet rice, rinsed well
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup whole milk or heavy cream (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, or to taste
Step by step
- In a large pot, rinse the sweet rice several times, and soak them in the water for 20 to 25 mins.
- Use a strong metal spoon to scrape off all the fibers and the seeds out of the pumpkin. Then cut into chunks and slice them. P.S. Don’t throw away the pumpkin seeds! They provide you lots of health benefits. I usually toast them in the oven. After 10-15 mins, these seeds would become very crunchy and tasty!
- Put pumpkin slices, rice and water into the a pot. Turn the heat over medium high, and cook for 5 minutes, then reduce the heat to medium low. Place the lid on the pot and cook for about1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally, add some water when the congee seems too thick. It’s your choice to add milk instead of water. Add sugar before serving.
Simple and delicious! Enjoy!